Sunday, December 10, 2006

Thank You

I dedicate my first post to Ray Ray and Jarett:


At 5:45 am the sound of a beeping cell phone manages to wake me. Funny, since the sound of a plane or a roaring party next door can't move me out of a deep sleep. I wake to prepare myself for another full day. Somehow I manage to get out the house in a timely manner to hit 485east toward Concord, North Carolina, which hands down is an hour drive. 8:00am, I'm walking in the secured door of the place I call my job.

Secretly, I'm excited to be there since the people I work with come from all walks of life. I had the opportunity to learn each of them, that I work with in my department and in a short time they've managed to elevate me to a whole new way of thinking.

Last week sometime, I was paired with a couple of co-workers to complete a certain project assigned. While working on this project I learned the two young men were soldiers in Iraq. I immediately jump to the chance to let them know how much I appreciated their bravery and their risking their lives so that I can live comfortably. One, in which I lovingly call Ray Ray, gave me a half hearted smile and utter a surprised "Your Welcome". He went on to explain how he didn't receive too many thank you. Most of the time he was blamed for having to go over there. Jarett, also being a soldier, chimed in agreeing with Ray Ray.

I couldn't believe it. Why wouldn't people be saying thank you? OK, personally, I believe that this war was so uncalled for. I don't see Iraq's involvement with 9-11. I really see this was a demonstration of our greed for oil and power. Yet our situation hasn't gotten any better and that's shown every time I go to fill up my car and I have to part with 40 dollars of my hard earned money.

I could go on and on about this war, but the real issue at hand is why are we not honoring our soldiers the way we should? I feel it is my duty to say thank you as many times as I can to those men and women who have left their families, left the safety of our country to fight in a senseless war. Every time I look at my pay stub, I feel a little better knowing that the federal taxes taken from my check goes to pay those soldiers here and in Iraq.

Bottom line, when you see a soldier, say thank you. Thank you for every minute you sat in that country knowing each breathe you took could be your last. So Ray Ray, Jarett, and all the other soldiers serving this country, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

-DFitz

Write is Right

0 comments:

 


Only My Opinion Counts © 2008. Design by: Pocket